About Violin Making
Every summer in June, I conduct three weeks of workshops on violin making and setup in Claremont, California, sponsored by Jim Brown of
J Brown Violin Maker. Jim does a wonderful job of organizing and hosting the workshop and
making sure everyone is comfortable. Participants can sign up for one, two, or all three of the week-long sessions,
space permitting. In addition, for this summer, a session on bow making with Lynn Hannings has been added.
Articles about Instrument Construction
- Making a viola
- A step-by-step photo-essay, possibly the most extensive photo set of the violin making process on the web
- Corners and edgework
- An article about the subtle shaping of corners and edge scoop
Illustrations and Photos
- Graduation punch
- A tool based on one of Stradivari's tools seen in a Cremona museum. If you're not careful with this
tool you can leave dents on the outside, just as Stradivari himself did on this cello.
- Purfling machine
- The tool I designed and built for cutting purfling grooves
- F-hole placement
- a diagram for the placement of f-holes on a Cremonese violin model
- The "Messiah" Stradivari violin (detail)
- An example of Cremonese varnish texture, courtesy of Claudio Rampini
- An Andrea Guarneri viola (detail)
- Another example of Cremonese varnish texture
- Laser-scans of arching (movie)
- Fun with lasers: information extracted from scanning the top
and back of a Brothers Amati violin. The black lines on the still photos are curtate cycloid
curves generated with free CCycloid software.
- Darnton & Hersh Fine Violins
- My retail enterprise in partnership with Stefan and Julian Hersh. View photographs
of our new space, including the workshop.
- Midwest String Rentals, Ltd.
- Instruments of exceptional quality for rent or purchase at affordable prices
- Soundpost Online
- A growing collection of articles for players, makers and connoisseurs of violin-family instruments
- David Van Zandt's Links to Violin Making Information
- An extensive compilation of links related to string instruments and bows
- Eric Swanson
- Chicago's best bow rehairer